Thursday, December 07, 2006

Chapter 29

The shuttle cut through the clouds and entered the familiar brown tinted air above Impact a few minutes later. McComb sat in the pilot's chair and Junior sat next to him, staring out the windscreen with a sense of awe and wonder.
"How much do you plan to bring with you?" McComb asked.
"How much can I bring?" Junior asked in return.
"I don't think there is a hard limit for EPPF officers."
"That's good."
After setting the shuttle down just outside the crater, McComb lowered the ramp and he and Junior stepped outside and into a cloud of reddish dust.
Junior stopped by the shed and grabbed some personal items. He picked up some clothes, all the clothes he owned to be accurate, a faded holo of his parents, some electronics and a few magazines he'd picked up over the years. They placed these in the shuttle before continuing their trek into Impact.
To Junior, who had spent his whole life in this area, the place seemed smaller. Seeing it from above had changed things for him. Impact had provided everything he'd ever needed, and he'd just seen that there was so much more to the galaxy than Impact could ever offer.
McComb would have agreed with Junior's new assessment. He saw Impact for the tiny dilapidated town it was, but they walked in silence, so he kept his opinion to himself.
They entered The Rusty Tankard as the sun set. After a quick glance around, Junior saw Trixie May and Dank seated at their usual booth. Junior also noticed a subdued Big Roy and Buck seated at a small table in the middle. As Buck stood and walked to intercept Junior and McComb, Junior noticed that he appeared more injured than Big Roy, who just wore a bandage in his head and a cast over his ankle.
Buck stopped in front of Junior and gestured with his sling encased arm.
"Junior," He began, "I'm real sorry I called you a cheater." He looked abashed, "I'm also real sorry I tried to trash your Beater before the fight, and not just 'cuz Dank hit me with a bat."
He waved apologetically with his good arm to Dank. Dank waved back uncertainly.
"'Salright, Buck," Junior slapped the man on the shoulder in a comradely fashion, eliciting a wince.
Junior looked over at Big Roy, who just glowered at him. Junior waved and walked past Buck to slide into the seat next to Trixie May.
"How was it?" Dank asked as McComb slid into the seat next to him.
"Clean," Junior replied, "And very high up."
McComb laughed, "It is that," he agreed.
Junior sat in silence for a moment, enjoying the company of his friends.
"I've got my gear loaded in the shuttle," Junior began.
Trixie May slipped her hand into his.
"I can't bring myself to leave everything, but I don't have much of a choice," He continued.
"I'm gonna, miss you, Junior," Dank said, "It won't be the same at the crater without you."
"I'm making a command decision," Junior said, "My first real one."
He looked at McComb, "I'm bringing Firebird," he stated.
McComb shook his head, "That won't be necessary, Sir. You'll be issued a state-of-the-art mechanized defense suit."
"Like the one Firebird trashed? No, thanks." Junior answered, "I'm bringing Firebird and, since no one one your ship knows how to work her, I'm bringing her chief mechanic." He gestured at Dank, who answered by spitting beer out his nose.
"I'm afraid combustion powered vehicles are banned on BSU holdings," McComb argued.
"Then Dank'll be busy refitting the power system, won't he?"
McComb didn't have an answer, so Junior pressed on.
"Also, your ship's doctor don't have any idea how to treat my old injury or how to deal with EcoHope 11 sicknesses, like filth fever and the burning rot," He squeezed Trixie May's hand, "I got no choice but to bring my own personal healer."
"Sir," McComb objected, "That will never work. She doesn't have the training, isn't familiar with modern medical standards."
"Then she'll pick it up on the way," Junior countered, "I'm sure that fancy computer has access to those medical standards."
The table fell silent.
"I'll have a crew pick up your robotic suit," McComb conceded. He didn't argue about Junior's staff additions.
The four sipped at their gradually warming beers.
Dank set down his mug and said, "What if I don't want to go?"
"Why wouldn't you want to go?" Junior asked, not having considered this possibility.
"What's in it fer me?"
"Dank," Junior felt his chest tighten, "There is a whole galaxy out there. You'll never see it from here."
"Got everythin' I need right here," Dank replied, punctuating his observation with a swig of beer.
"I need you to come with Firebird," Junior argued, "I don't even understand half the changes you and Trixie May made. Plus, no one knows this Be-Esunium stuff as well as you do."
Dank sat quietly for a moment before replying, "Can I git one of them shiny new Data Terminals?" He gestured at the device McComb held in his hand.
"Sure, Dank," McComb replied, smiling.

Chapter Twenty Nine Interlude

File: Datanet Core Server Gamma Alpha ninety six, Galactic Technologies, Era: Modern -0, Index Earth Prime Protection Force, Medical Technologies, Data Supplied by Datanet Medical Officer's Manual

The Earth Prime Protection Force has a surprisingly low rate of injuries among staff considering the dangerous work involved in day-to-day operations. Should an injury not be instantly fatal, you will be required to provide medical services. The goal of any medical procedure is to get the trooper back to work as quickly as possible while maintaining the low operating budget which defines the Earth Prime Protection Force as an organization.

The preferred medication for all physical injuries is chemical PK3498234, which studies show can block all pain receptors in the patient to allow them to return to duty immediately. The dosage can be increased over the published amounts to compensate for injuries which are more grave.

Surgical procedures and extended care can be provided if the proper forms are processed and the treatments approved by the accounting office.

Trixie May returned the bear hug from Doc and, teary eyed, told him not to worry about her.
"Course I'll worry," Doc replied, "Your Ma would've worried. That's my job now that she's gone."
"I'll get to come back soon, I'm sure," she continued, but Doc knew that she was trying to make him feel better.
"Always the healer, aren't you?" he smiled, pride eclipsing his sorrow for a moment.
"I guess so, Daddy," she admitted.
"You take care of my little girl, you hear?" Doc turned to shake Junior's hand, "I know you will. Yer a good kid, too."
At the last second, Doc grabbed Junior in a rib crushing embrace of his own.
"I will," Junior promised, "But she will be fine. Earth Prime needs her more than she needs it. They'll see it soon enough."
Dank arrived back at The Rusty Tankard just then, dragging a large sack of personal items and a sled loaded with spare parts.
Junior's shocked look was met with a defensive, "A feller has to be prepared, Junior."
As he dropped his bag with an extended clatter, he added, "Doc, I'm gonna need a couple of barrels of yer cheapest beer. To go."